Thursday, September 14, 2006

Am I replacable ? ~~ ?

Funny question eh ... For all those who said "No"...Thank U Soooooooo Much :)) None of us are replacable, each human is unique, n unless we keep aside ethical reasons n agree on creating clones, there is no other way we could replace the presence of a being!!!

As for this blog the question is not on the personal front ... This question is on the professional front. For the first time, in life I kinda got a clue, as to what i want in life !!! I want to take up a profession where in I am irreplacable. Tough, impossible, .... I agree !!! But, Will there be another Hrishikesh Mukherjee ?? Will there be another Mahatma Gandhi ?? Will there be another Albert Einstein ?? Can someone create another Mother Teresa ??

This though dawned on me last night. I've been down with viral fever the last 2 days ... n have been going to office for 6-8 hours each day, trying to complete the work assigned. We have a typical structure - me, Lead, Manager, Senior Manager. And as was expected, the 3 hours that I wasn't there each day, my lead was filling the gap. May be I should appreciate his adeptness, it took him no time, to get into the groove. And the reality was , the ball kept rolling, without a break. My presence, or absence, made no difference !!! Whoopsy !!!! That makes me sad !!! :(

Taking it a step further I wondered, what if my lead wasn't as adept as he was ? Maybe he would have taken a few hours longer!! But thats it !!!What if my lead falls sick, another lead would take over his job!!! What if my Manager is ill, the senior manager will take over !!! Man.... are we all so easily replacable ???

On my way back home in the Auto I wondered, if I meet with an accident tonight, what happens to my secure life ?? Everything goes for a full toss !!! My salary, the huge house, happy go lucky life !!! I suddenly realised the importance of being talented, being talented from within. Keeping myself abreast, with the world and its happening, so that until I become a "vegetable" , I have it in me to sustain, on my inner credentials. The importance of being irreplacable as a person dawned on me. I finally found a mission to pursue ~~~~~!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, companies have backup policies(called Business Continuity Planning) which make sure that all processes flow un-interrrupted. So you neednot worry that you are replacable, just by anybody.

Your thought process is cool. But I think there might be room for improvement

Dolly Dwivedi said...

Hmmm..interesting! We all strive 2 b irreplacable in relationships but never really wonder abt our significance back at work. I have heard this thought from u before, back at moto. Good that the thought is still hidden somewhere in a dark recess of your mind. Now that the relaisation has dawned, you get started on ur misson girlie..good luck! :)

Niks said...

Well to ur questions ,taking the example - Is Mahatama Gandhi replacable? No , i would say but not in the spirit in which u asked .
Would say one thing - is it required today ? If yes there will be (ideologically).
If you still think that no one is there that means no one thinks it is required to be

" a Mahatma Gandhi "

anymore ..
thus its definitely not irreplaceability of Mahatma Gandhi ...

"irreplaceability": I guess only a kin or kith(at times - some special ppl whom you personally admire ) are irreplacable.

One can be a Albert Einstien or Hitler or Shakespeare .. if One finds the REASON.

But even after saying all that , i still have a doubt :) , Is Da Vinci replaceable ?

Living said...

Well, from a biological perspective -- Cloning was invented in February 23, 1997. Dr. Ian Wilmut, which makes it possible to clone (an exact phenocopy) animals. If you had one cell from Einstein's body you can create another Einstein and the clone would exactly look like him. Said that, our behavior is not just a refelction of our genes but a product of complex interaction between our genome and environment. Hence, the answer to your query is a BIG NO!

However, this wouldn't be the case from an employers eyes as what matters there is just your Degree, experience and how successful you were so far. They often tend not to worry about your personal uniqueness but your ingenuinity that truley makes you irreplicable :)